Ask Full Fact: your Brexit questions answered
29th Nov 2018
The other week we asked Full Fact's readers to ask us any questions about Brexit—whether it was about the withdrawal agreement, the "divorce bill", Article 50, the prospect of "no deal", or dozens of other topics.
We've already had almost two hundred questions via our question form, email and Twitter. This page is where we'll be collecting all of our answers to those questions. We'll be adding many more to this page over the coming weeks.
And if you want to ask us your own question, you can do that here, or via the form at the bottom of this page.
Your Brexit questions
- Will there still be a transition period if we leave with no deal?
- What would happen to medical supplies and drinking water if we left with no deal?
- What exactly is the divorce bill paying for? And why are we paying it?
- How long will we be paying the divorce bill?
- Is the divorce bill that we’re paying less than half of what the EU originally asked for?
- If we leave with no deal, how much of the divorce bill will we be legally obligated to pay?
- If we go into the backstop, will the UK be making any financial contributions to the EU for that period?
- Will we be able to implement trade deals with other countries if the Irish border situation is unresolved?
- If we leave without a deal, what happens to the Irish border?
- Why is avoiding a hard border in Ireland a priority?
Negotiations and Brexit process
- Can Article 50 be extended or stopped, and how would this happen?
- Can we unilaterally quit the withdrawal agreement or backstop in future?
- Can Spain really veto the withdrawal bill?
- During the transition period will the European Court of Justice be able to veto or change any UK laws?
EU projects and programmes
- What will happen to the European Health Insurance Card and emergency medical treatment after Brexit?
- Where does Brexit leave us with regards to the Galileo project?
- Will the UK remain part of the "Everything But Arms" initiative after Brexit?
- What will be the repercussions of Brexit on our membership of Interpol?
Travel and trade
- If there is no deal will any restrictions apply to flights to and from EU airports?
- What does it really mean to take back control of our waters and fishing, are there controls outside the EU which we will have to adhere to after Brexit?
- During the transition will we be able to do separate trade deals?
- Would a trade deal with the USA mean lower food standards?
In addition to answering your questions directly, we've already written many articles explaining parts of the Brexit process which you might find helpful:
- The Brexit timeline
- The Brexit "divorce bill"
- What is the Irish backstop?
- The cost of extending the transition period
- Brexit withdrawal deal and the future trade deal—what’s the difference?
- Post-Brexit trade deals: the Norway and Canada options explained
- Who can stay in the UK after Brexit?
- New: What do the government’s Brexit vote defeats mean?