Labour will reduce the cap on tuition fees to £6,000, leader Ed Miliband has announced today.
He said the current system is:
"causing rising debts for graduates and the taxpayer".
While the debt burden is thought to have increased for most graduates under the current cap introduced by the Coalition government in 2012, the lowest earning 30% of English resident graduates from full-time study are expected to repay less. That is according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS); the remaining 70% are expected to have to pay back more under the new system.
English-domiciled disadvantaged 18 year-olds are still applying and at an increasing rate each year. It's mature students that have seen the largest decline since 2010. When it comes to the cost to the taxpayer, it's still too soon to tell whether or not real savings have been made.
For a full analysis of the impact of the £9,000 cap, take a look at our in-depth briefing.
The IFS has published an analysis of Labour's funding plans.
The integrity of our elections is in danger, and we need your help
You’re probably here looking for facts. Thank you for that trust. But with the EU parliament elections on the way and more elections a possibility, we need to act now to make sure our elections are protected, before it’s too late.
Could you help protect our elections by becoming a Full Fact donor?
Misinformation isn’t new, but advancements in technology mean it can spread at an unprecedented scale. Our dangerously outdated election laws have not kept up with the digital age, putting our next elections at risk of abuse.
Currently, it’s possible for a candidate to run a thousand different political ads to win the same seat, promising something different to each group it targets. At the same time, there’s no law requiring those who publish online campaigns to disclose who they are or how they are funded. The opportunity for bad actors to manipulate election results is left wide open.
You may already know about our work to make public debate online more honest and transparent. Every day, we call out the most harmful misinformation on social media platforms when and where we see it. But right now, we’re urging the government to overhaul our election laws to make sure political campaigning is held to the same level of scrutiny online as it is offline.
This work all depends on the generosity of hundreds of people who all believe that for democracy to work, we need transparency. Our monthly donors help strengthen our voice, and show our politicians that this really matters. Would you consider joining them?
Become a donor today to make sure our elections are protected.